Pioneer Graves near Brigham's Arrow - There are two here, the second is about two feet behind the first. I saw several others along the trail. They estimate that there are approximately 7 graves per mile of trail.
The handcarts
Brigham's Arrow - Placed by Brigham Young's vanguard company. It pointed to the recommended trail for the upcoming pioneer wagon trains.
Beginning of Trek - Noah's "family"
We began near Brigham's Arrow and traveled around three miles to near Bedford Springs for lunch. The pace was fast! The handcart train continued down Gravel Hill, which Noah said should really be called "Boulder Hill." From there they continued down along the ridge. I was in charge of the Sweetwater Crossing activity during the first day of trek. I actually wasn't on the mountain when the first storm hit because I was needing to coordinate the music and location and had hitched a ride after lunch with the camp nurse. It was terrible to be in the storm sitting in an SUV at the bottom of the hill, watching the lightening hit where I knew the youth were. Noah was still up on the ridge and described it as a scary experience to be in the middle of the storm with no place to take shelter. They just huddled together and prayed.
I met the youth as they came off the ridge after the storm, I encouraged them to change their shoes only to realize that they were already soaked through. Because the storm waters were making the river rise quickly, they were eager to get the carts across the river (which was about waist-deep in places). The companies gathered and the Bishops shared the story about the original sweetwater crossing where several young men helped carry the weather-beaten pioneers across an icy river. The intent was for the Stake YM Presidency to sing while the companies crossed the river quietly and reverently, but they were so busy helping get carts across that they never sang. I actually crossed first. The water was very swift and it was hard to keep my balance. Once I found my footing, it felt manageable until I stepped onto the opposite bank and sunk into about two feet of water logged mud. It was quite a challenge for the carts to get through the muddy areas and into the prarie grass. We all emerged thoroughly wet and more muddy than before. There was a wonderful feeling of unity and cooperation as the companies intermingled and helped each other.
Finally, the last company slowed things down, found a different route by bringing the carts into the river and then upstream to a better bank. They sang I Know That My Redeemer Lives, and then the young men carried some of the young women across. I wasn't there anymore, but heard it was a wonderful experience. I wished it had been similar for all of the companies.
I walked the last 1 1/2 or so miles passing more pioneer graves and the original Muddy River Camp. Once in camp we cleaned up as best as we could, set up our tents, and had dinner. As we finished dinner, we could see the next storm moving and in and the trail boss called for everyone to get to shelter. All evening activities were canceled and we all huddled in our tents waiting for the fury of the storm to pass. The low moment of the 2nd storm was when Sister Cook, my tent mate, asked if she should get her cup to bail the water from our tent. Funny - because there was really that much water in our tent. One of our youth spent the night in a port-a-potty because he was so cold and wet.
No comments:
Post a Comment